Thursday, October 18, 2012

A story about dinner

On Thursday nights, Matt goes to his kickboxing class and likes to eat light. To accomodate this, I make some bacon and hardboiled eggs and chop up some veggies for a salad. Of course, my toddlers aren't going to eat salads, but I make a couple extra boiled eggs. Chloe hates boiled eggs. I know this. I attempt sticking the egg inside a piece of bread to trick her. It doesn't work. She takes one bite of the egg sandwich, and then uses her hand to sweep a majority of the egg/bread mixture onto the floor. Boiled egg is very hard to sweep off the floor. Matt tells Chloe, NO! in a stern voice. Brooke, my little sensitive soul, detects anger in Daddy's voice and bursts into tears. Then, Chloe gets upset that everyone is eating but her and begins to cry as well. So I stuff my salad down as fast as I can (eating fast has become an art-form around here), and get up to warm up some frozen ravioli. Very healthy, I know. While I wait for the water to boil, I pull out the extra-special treat I had made earlier in the day: chocolate covered apples. I hand a couple slices to Brooke. She eats the chocolate off. I tell her to eat the apple. She starts to cry again. Chloe eats both the chocolate and the apple. Both kids smear chocolate all over their face, hair, hands and arms. This I expect. What I don't expect is that Brooke somehow manages to smear chocolate across her stomach and back. So now the ravioli is done. I take it out, cut it up, and set it aside to let it cool. Chloe starts to cry because she wants it NOW. I blow it to cool it quicker and then hand it to her. Brooke starts to cry because she doesn't understand why she must eat boiled egg while Chloe gets ravioli. So I hand Brooke a couple pieces. While they eat their ravioli, I attempt to sweep the egg off the floor. (I repeat: boiled egg is very hard to sweep). Just as I get it clean, Chloe drops her milk cup. Milk splatters everywhere. I clean that up. Then I grab Chloe's tray right as she starts to throw the remaining ravioli onto the floor. I start the process of cleaning chocolate off both kids' entire body surface areas. Both kids cry throughout the cleaning process. Just another dinner around the Schrand household. Gotta love it. The end.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment