Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Schedules (or lack thereof)

I am a scheduler. I like to-do lists. I like to know exactly what's going to happen in a day. I thrive on accomplishing what I've planned. I don't like change. I don't like surprise drop-in visits (I'm working on this because I believe this is not a Christ-like attitude)... in fact, I usually need 24 hours notice for any socializing. I don't like to be interrupted from something that I'm working on. Needless to say, these character traits do not mesh well with parenthood. (By the way, Matt has these same traits... double bad!)

When Brooke was born, I had read the literature about putting my baby on a routine, the "cry-it-out" method, etc. I was determined to have Brooke on a routine by Day 7, and she would be taking scheduled naps and sleeping through the night by Week 12. Brooke had other plans. She did not (and still does not) see any need for routines. Or sleep, for that matter.  She really didn't do much but cat nap until 6 months. She did not have a decent nap schedule until 10 months. And then she dropped her morning nap at 12 months, once again throwing off her (and my) schedule. She DID sleep through the night at 4 months. And stopped at 5 months. And then started again at 7 months. And then stopped at... whenever. Now, at 2 1/2, she's on a naptime/bedtime schedule (naps at 1:30, bedtime at 9), but there is no rhyme nor reason to how well she goes down or how long she sleeps. Some mornings, she's up at 7 and others, she sleeps until almost 9. Many times, I have to stay in her room and repeatedly tell her to lie down, just to get her to go to sleep. If not, she will play in her room for hours, until she's so exhausted, she will cry if you look at her funny. I now know this is how God made her, and I love her just like she is (even if she drives me crazy sometimes!) She is hyper and happy and adventurous and crazy and smart and perfect. Just how she is. And I'm learning to deal with our differences (although I'm sure there will still be many difficult moments ahead!)

Chloe was born when Brooke was 14 1/2 months old. I didn't know what to expect with Chloe after Brooke. Brooke cried the entire night after she was born. Actually, she cried most of the first 8 weeks after she was born. (I believed, at that time, that I was the worst mother ever!) I remember the nurse telling me, that first night, that she thought I was going to have a difficult baby. Not helpful! So when Chloe was born, I anticipated the worst. Chloe slept the entire first 2 weeks of her life. Seriously. I could put her down anywhere and she would sleep. I used to carry her while she slept because I felt guilty laying her down so much! Chloe put herself on a schedule within a couple months old. She self-soothed... no "cry-it-out" involved. She didn't sleep through the night until she was a year old, but she would eat for 15 min and always go right back to sleep. Even now, she puts herself to sleep within minutes of laying her down. She's crazy addicted to routine, and falls apart if her routine is off in the slightest (wonder where she got that from!) So completely opposite of Brooke... it's hard to believe they have the same parents!

So anyway, I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I read an article the other day on pinterest about babies that would not follow the steps to be on a schedule. With Brooke, I always felt like I was doing something wrong. I was following the steps! Why weren't they working? I used to think other "better" mothers could get Brooke on a routine. I was just no good at mothering. And now I know... the "steps" do not always work. So, for any mothers out there that are frustrated, I hope you can find comfort in my story. If the "steps" work for you, great! But if not, don't get frustrated. The first year is tough but it WILL get better. Every baby is different... you have to find what works best for you!

And that's all. I'm off to get ready for our annual Halloween party....

No comments:

Post a Comment